Buying & Selling
Conditions of Sale - Selling
- Commission and charges:
17% + VAT for Antique & Collector’s Sale
1% + VAT Damage & Loss Warranty
£10 + VAT Minimum Commission per consignment/statement
Lotting fee: £2 + VAT per lot
These charges are inclusive of all usual expenses at the sale involving; the printing of catalogues and posters, advertising, proper display, porterage and other incidental expenses, but do not include; electrical testing, rubbish disposal, delivery and removals to and from our saleroom premises, internet work or any other special charges such as CITES certificates
If you are not able to deliver your items yourselves, we will be happy to make arrangements for collection, if required, the cost of which will be deducted from your sale statement. On no account will delivery be accepted of useless sundries, poor quality and faulty items, whether or not they appear on the list overleaf and if delivered to the saleroom shall be disposed of without further notice.
- Regulations: Soft furnishings, electrical items and any other type of goods that are now covered by the ever-increasing government and European regulations, must comply, otherwise they will be rejected or sent for rubbish disposal, without further notice.
- Lotting: We reserve the right to catalogue and display all items in the manner we think best.
- Reserves & Withdrawn Lots: All items are considered to be without reserve and for sale to the highest bidder. Reserves placed upon any item must be agreed with the auctioneers and then only if the lot warrants it and the reserve figure is not prohibitive (no reserves shall be placed under £30). A commission of 12% (inclusive of VAT) of the reserve price may be charged should the item remain unsold or be withdrawn prior to sale. Vendors who attend the sale and bid on their own goods, resulting in unsold goods, may be subject to the full charges and commission rate of the highest bid reached (see charges above). If consignments are withdrawn there may well be handling charges and other fees to cover our costs.
- Unsold goods: Lots failing to reach their reserve will not be offered a second time at the same reserve (unless a special arrangement has been made with the auctioneer) and must be removed from the saleroom immediately after the sale. If not removed they shall be re-offered with a reduced reserve or no reserve. Goods that do not attract any bid what-so-ever and remain unsold, may be considered unsaleable and disposed of after the sale without further notice, for which a charge shall be raised.
- Conditions of sale: These are displayed in the auction rooms.
- Vendor’s check lists & statements: If we have a signed receipt no check list shall be sent out. Check lists for other consignments shall be sent out about 5 days before the sale. Vendor’s statements with cheques will be sent about 2-3 weeks after the sale (providing lots have been paid for).
Conditions of Sale - Buying
- The highest bidder shall be the purchaser, should any dispute arise between the bidders or any mistake be made, the auctioneer may either declare the purchaser or re-offer the lot. In any event the auctioneer’s decision is final.
- The advance in the bidding shall be regulated by the auctioneer, the minimum bid accepted shall be £10 (£5 in Collectors & General Sale.
- The auctioneer, who shall be the sole arbiter in the matter of any disputes or mistake, reserves the right to refuse any bid, or bid on behalf of the vendor, in the case of any lot or lots, upon which there is a reserve, or to withdraw, consolidate or divide any lot or lots with regard to the position of the same in the catalogue.
- Each and every lot shall, upon the fall of the hammer, be at the sole risk of the purchaser and no lot or lots may be removed during the sale in any case, no lot or lots shall be removed until an invoice has been checked.
- All descriptive statements contained in the advertisements or catalogue, or made by the auctioneer or any member of their staff, before or at the time of the sale are taken, as expressions of the vendor’s or the auctioneer’s opinion and not as warranties and no warranty of any kind is implied or given. It is assumed that the purchaser has inspected the lots they buy and in any event no compensation shall be paid for the same (see condition 9 below).
- Piers Motley Auctions Ltd. (Auctioneers & Valuers) act as agent only and neither they nor the vendor is responsible for any faults or defects of any lot, of any correctness of any statements contained in the catalogue, advertisements or brochures of any forthcoming sales.
- Unless otherwise stated, all lots must be paid for and collected from the salerooms by 4 p.m. on the Friday following the sale (storage and handling charges will result if goods remain on the premises after this deadline). Failure to comply with this condition may result in the lot or lots being re-sold by public auction, or private treaty, and any deficiency (if any) together with all charges attending the same shall be made good by the defaulter. Any profit resulting from such a re-sale (if any) belonging to the vendor.
- In order to avoid confusion, no lot or lots may be transferred in any circumstances and the bidder, whether buying for themself or a third party shall be entirely responsible for the payment of the lot or lots purchased.
- In order to offer a fair service to both buyer and vendor, the price paid for any electrical item that is purchased for more than a hammer price of £25 and found not to be in working order, will be refunded without question (if returned within 24 hours and no later than the Friday of the week of the sale). Purchases less than a hammer price of £25 will not be considered.
- Purchasers unable to attend may leave commission bids (minimum £10/£5 or on reserve)
- All bidders must register for the sale and are advised to do this before the sale day.
- Buyers Premium: General Sale 18% + VAT, Antique Sale 18% + VAT (min. £1) per lot..
- Payment by cash or cheque is acceptable, though we reserve the right to refuse cheques. Minimum £15 for card transactions (No American Express).
- Artist's Resale Right ("Droit de Suite") If a lot is affected by this right it will be identified with the symbol "*" next to the lot number. The buyer agrees to pay Piers Motley Auctions an amount equal to the resale royalty and we will pay such amount to the artist's collecting agent. Resale royalty applies where the Hammer Price is 1,000 Euro or more and the amount cannot be more than 12,500 Euro per lot. The amount is calculated as follows: Royalty for the portion of the Hammer Price (in Euro) 4.00% up to 50,000 3.00% between 50,000.1 and 200,000 1.00% between 200,000.1 and 350,000 0.50% between 350,000.01 and 500,000 0.25% in excess of 500,000 Invoices will, as usual, be issued in Pounds Sterling. For the purposes of calculating the resale royalty the Pounds Sterling/Euro rate of exchange will be the European Central Bank reference rate on the day of the sale.
15. Online Bidding: Piers Motley Auctions Ltd offer online bidding services via Easy Live, the-saleroom.com and Invaluable for bidders who cannot attend the sale. In completing the bidder registration on www.the-saleroom.com and providing your credit card details and unless alternative arrangements are agreed with Piers Motley Auctions Ltd you: 1. authorise Piers Motley Auctions Ltd, if they so wish, to charge the credit card given in part or full payment, including all fees, for items successfully purchased in the auction via the-saleroom.com, and 2.confirm that you are authorised to provide these credit card details to Piers Motley Auctions Ltd through www.the-saleroom.com and agree that Piers Motley Auctions Ltd are entitled to ship the goods to the card holder name and card holder address provided in fulfilment of the sale. Please note that any lots purchased via the-saleroom.com live auction service will be subject to an additional 3% commission charge + VAT (per week) at the rate imposed on the hammer price.